Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Armenia - Tatev Monastery & Trip back to Yerevan

Oh the morning after...  too much drinking and partying...  I was actually feeling OK in the morning.  After all, I only had 3 or 4 shots...  of 70% proof oghi (Armenian vodka).  So maybe I wasn't so OK but the truth didn't come out until much later...

We checked out of Hotel Armenia and drove two hours towards Tatev Tramway...  The road again out of Karabagh was pretty bumpy.  This is when I started feeling pretty sick.  When the bus got a flat tire again, I tried to let it out, but I wasn't able to.  Later on, I had to make the bus stop just for me, and I got sick on the side of the road.  After that I felt much better, but pretty hungry.


We only had one planned stop on the way back to Yerevan, and that was Tatev Monastery from the 9th century, located near Tatev village.  The only way to get to it is using Wings of Tatev tram.




Wings of Tatev Tram

At first I didn't think I was feeling well enough to brave the tram ride, however, I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't go.  And after seeing how safe and secure it was, I wasn't worried.  Wings of Tatev is almost 6km long and it is the longest reversible aerial tramway.  It took about 10 minutes for us to reach the monastery.

A view from the tram

At one point during the trip, the tram whoops down really quickly to the lowest part of the plateau, stalls for a few seconds, and whoops back up, which got everyone's heart rates elevated.  But the view was really beautiful.  I just wish I was feeling well enough to enjoy it more.

Taken from Wikipedia (because I was only half listening to the tour guide and was too busy taking photos):  According to tradition, Tatev Monastery is named after Eustateus, a disciple of St. Thaddeus the Apostle, who preached and was martyred in this region.  His name has evolved to Tatev.  Popular etymology includes a legend telling of an event that is tied to the construction of the main church, where an apprentice secretly climbs to the top of its steeple intending to place a cross of his own design.  However, the apprentice is spotted by his master during his descent.  Shocked by his discovery, the apprentice loses his foothold and falls into the abyss as he calls upon God to grant him wings, which, in Armenian is:  "Ta Tev."

A view of Tatev Monastery

View from Tatev Monastery

The bishop inside the church gave our tour troup a blessing but he held his hand over my head much longer than everyone else...  I'm guessing because he could see on my face that I was not feeling great.  I definitely appreciated that so much.

Our group got blessed by the bishop

The 17th century Tatev Oil Mill primarily produced flax seed oil and was the main provider of oil to several surrounding villages of the time.  The oil mill was only recently discovered and restored in 2010.

Tatev Oil Mill

View of Tatev from the tram

Afterwards we headed to our much needed lunch.  I didn't have anything in my system so as soon as we got there, I started gobbling.  I think this is when the videographer Tigran told me that I'm a good eater.

The trip back to Yerevan was way too long...  We were all so exhausted and I immediately went to sleep as soon as we arrived at the hotel.

No comments: